Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Uncle Sam says, "I Want You, Schleiff!"

As we are approaching the two month mark of my time here in Cape Town , I realize that I have failed miserably in my goal to update this sucker at least once a week. Major apologies to my whopping 7 readers. :)

This week I had my first tests. In the grand scheme of Jessica Schleiff's life, these three exams are small potatoes, but in the grand scheme of the American International Reputation, these tests carried some major patriotic obligations. Yes, that's right. It was my duty as a self-respecting Amurhcan to break down negative stereotypes inspired by LA and biased media abroad. I felt the weight of the call to prove to my scary lecturers and tutors with their hoity-toity British spelling and obscure comma usage that I do indeed have a brain, and neither Laguna Beach nor Beverly Hills 90210 have successfully eradicated that fact--in spite of their spirited efforts!

I am sorry to tell you, though, that this little patriot did not rise to the call of duty but instead, embraced the Cape Townian Spirit, opting for a spontaneous hike up the mountain rather than the wiser, more honorable decision to spend Sunday afternoon pouring over notes. (On my way up Skeleton Gourge, I did give Arkansas some mad props, though. So I have not completely turned my back on my homeland. Woo pig!).

But wait! Not to fear! I embraced the also ever-so-American skill of merging intrinsic knowledge with major B.S.-ing. That process, in combination with lingering memories from past lectures by Drs. Amy Sonheim, Johnny Wink, Mary Beth Long, and Mrs. April Counts, helped me manage to come out OK in my task. Maybe I will indeed walk away from these 3 tests bringing some glory to my country's name. Only time will tell. Until then, I will continue to whistle Dixie on my way to class and talk in a really really loud voice all around campus, just to get our name out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment